Beginning 10pm on Thursday 5 January until 10am Sunday 8 January, the Tullamarine Freeway linking Melbourne city and the airport will be closed between the M80 Ring Road and the Calder Freeway.
The 60-hour continuous closure is to allow for the replacement of the English Street bridge that spans across the Tullamarine Freeway at Airport West.
Detours TO the airport
EXCLUDING TRUCKS – the primary detour will be via Pascoe Vale Road and the M80 Ring Road.
INCLUDING TRUCKS – is via the Calder Freeway, Keilor Park Drive and Sharps Road.
Detours FROM the airport
You can take Airport Drive, Keilor Park Drive and the Calder Freeway or the Tullamarine Freeway to M80 Ring Road and Calder Freeway.
From the airport
- Take Centre Road (towards long-term parking)
- Turn left onto Airport Drive
- Turn right onto Sharps Road
- Turn left onto Keilor Park Drive
- Take the inbound (towards the city) ramp onto the Calder Freeway
From the Tullamarine Freeway / M80 Ring Road
- Take the M80 westbound exit (towards Geelong)
- Continue on the M80 to the Keilor Park Drive exit
- Exit at Keilor Park drive, cross back over the M80 and immediately take the M80
- eastbound (Greensborough) entry ramp
- Take the inbound (towards the city) ramp onto the Calder Freeway.
Essendon Fields & Airport West
Access to Essendon Fields or Airport West will be maintained with Wirraway Road, open at all times.
During the freeway closure, you can use Wirraway Road via Melrose Drive to enter or exit the area. Allow an additional 25 minutes of travel time.
Cyclists can also use the signed detour via Matthews Avenue, Melrose Drive and Wirraway Road.
A shuttle bus will operate for pedestrians and people with a disability between Airport West and Essendon Fields.
Detours will be clearly marked with signage on all major roads and freeways. Real-time travel information will be digitally displayed to on-road message boards.
The detour routes will be closely watched via CCTV around the clock throughout the freeway closure, with traffic signals able to be adjusted to improve the flow of traffic and minimise congestion.
Incident response vehicles and tow trucks will be available to quickly respond to any traffic incidents.
For questions or concerns during the freeway closure, please call 1300 783 947 (select option 2) or email@example.com