Faith based tours enable you to immerse yourself in the history of the world’s great religions.
Collette incorporates many religious sites in its tours and one of the most keenly sought is the famous Passion Play held once a decade in the Bavarian village of Oberammergau.
The townsfolk performed their first Passion Play in 1634!
The play and its history stem from the impact of the Bubonic Plague when many of the villagers succumbed to the infection. At the time, families appealed for Divine intervention with the promise to perform the play every 10 years.
True to their word, the locals have continued to deliver on the centuries-old promise.
The now multi-million dollar production is a dramatic depiction of the events leading up to Christ’s crucifixion and will be performed from May to October, 2020.
Oberammergau’s adaptation of the play has become the world’s biggest and best with the Passion Play Theatre accommodating 4,500 people.
Tickets for this once-in-a-decade event are not easy to come by and as one of the world’s leading tour companies, Collette has one of the largest ticket allocations.
- Be inspired by one of these faith based tours
- Experience a unique hotel in Europe
- Tour America’s great music cities
MORE COLLETTE TOURS YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN …
A German fairy tale village
In addition to the play, Oberammergau itself is the highlight of many European tours. Famous for its distinctive Bavarian architecture, wood carvings and picture postcard German scenery, the village is a favourite with all who visit.
As the premier Passion Play tour company, Collette offers a selection of European tours that incorporate Oberammergau and the play as part of the itinerary.
Tours that include Passion Play
- Imperial Cities – Visit Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna, Prague and Munich
- Austrian Delight – Visit Innsbruck, Salzburg, Neuschwanstein Castle, Munich
- Discover Switzerland, Austria & Bavaria –Montreux to Gstaad by train. Visit Bern, Innsbruck and Salzburg (ON SALE NOW)
- Alpine Explorer & Glacier Express Railway Journey – Innsbruck, Salzburg, Neuschwanstein Castle (ON SALE NOW)
- Exploring Alpine Countries – Munich, Salzburg, Black Forrest, Vienna, Lake Geneva, Lucerne (ON SALE NOW)
- Romantic and Fairy Tale Roads – Berlin, Hamburg, Bremen, Hamelin, Rothenburg
- Classic Danube River Cruise – Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna, Emmersdorf, Passau
BOOK YOUR OBERAMMERGAU TOUR HERE