It’s the last great destination left on earth. A place so remote, and so pristine, that only a handful of lucky people ever lay eyes on its shores each year.
But thanks to Scenic Eclipse, The World’s First Discovery Yacht™, what once seemed like a remote and inaccessible place reserved only for the most spirited and adventurous traveller, is now within easy reach.
Few places on earth offer the beauty and grandeur of Antarctica. Great icebergs float in the azure calm waters take on an almost ghostly and lonely appearance. Yet on land, the imposing sight of the jagged mountains and clifftops tell a different story. This is a place where the harshness of nature provides something few travellers ever get to experience – an isolated landscape of immense beauty, where the number of animal species alone outnumbers the human inhabitants and visitors.
The ultimate bucket-list destination, the icy continent of Antarctica is easily accessible with Scenic Eclipse, and the journey itself is filled with comfort, convenience and 6-star luxury.
Designed for discovery, high-powered zodiacs and sea-kayaks allow passengers to view the chattering penguins and lazy sea lions sunning themselves. You can also take to the sky and go beyond the horizon on one of two Scenic helicopters, or dive deep below the sea on the state-of-the-art submarine for an entirely new perspective of the world above.
Not even the imagination can stir up such extraordinary sounds and images with a trip to Antarctica a truly once-in-a-lifetime adventure. The Antarctic continent is a place where the planet truly showcases the many facets of life, in a way so few of its inhabitants ever get to experience.
Best time to visit Antarctica
During the late spring and early summer months of November and December, the icy continent begins a dramatic transformation. The sun’s rays create an explosion of life as the ice sheets break away from the clutches of the inlets and bays. Enormous icebergs begin their ocean free-flow as the wildlife begin their cycle of feeding and breeding.
Expect to experience:
- Landscapes that are ice-clad and pure
- Penguin colonies bustle with lively courtship rituals
- Humpback, Minke and Southern Right whales start to arrive
- Fur and elephant seals give birth
- And for the keen photographer, a chance to capture the sparkling Antarctic twilight
January and February are summertime months in Antarctica. The days provide nearly 24-hours of daylight, and the temperature rises to a balmy 1 to 2 degrees Celsius. A respite for the wildlife after the harsh winter, it’s playtime for the region’s unique wildlife.
Expect to see:
- Penguin chicks hatching and constantly feeding
- Leopard seals on the hunt
- Great concentrations of whale species feeding
- Large number of crabeater seals resting on icebergs
- And thanks to softened ice, the chance to cross the Antarctic Circle or explore the Weddell Sea
Early March is Autumn when the sun starts to sink further beyond the horizon, with dark nights returning and daytime temperatures still slightly above zero. With colder Antarctic nights, you’ll often wake to beautiful formed patterns of thin sea ice.
South Georgia and the Falklands are teeming with unbelievable concentrations of wildlife where you can expect to see:
- Penguin chicks leaving their nests for a life at sea
- Humpback whales treating you to magnificent displays of breaching
- Leopard seals court with their incredible songs of love
- South Georgia teeming with millions of fur seal pups and wandering albatross chicks
MORE STORIES YOU’LL LOVE …
- Luxury ocean cruising – reimagined
- When a holiday changes your life
- Explore Russia and the White Sea
Explore Antarctica with Scenic Eclipse
Explore Antarctica in-depth and in-style on board Scenic Eclipse – the World’s First Discovery Yacht™. Purpose-built for exploring the far reaches of Earth, Scenic Eclipse will spoil guests with its luxurious accommodations, state-of-the-art amenities and almost 1:1 guest-to-crew ratio. Add to this its polar expertise, immersive shore excursions and the exclusive Scenic submarine and helicopters, and you have the makings for the trip-of-a-lifetime.
The Scenic Eclipse fleet has the highest rating of any luxury vessel – Ice Class 1A Super (Polar Class 6) rating – enabling the safest passage and navigation through all waters globally.
In the arctic and polar regions, Scenic’s 16 expert and passionate Discovery Team members will facilitate excursions ashore by high-powered Zodiac and sea-kayaks for guided wildlife walks. The Discovery Team will also run fascinating lectures in the state-of-the-art Theatre throughout the cruise.
Included Arctic Clothing & Unique Discovery Centre
In the arctic and polar regions, you will receive a complimentary kit of a custom-designed Parka with separate inner and outer layers and use of special boots designed for exploring these spectacular regions.
Purpose-built, climate-controlled Discovery Centre allows passengers to change from outerwear with ease, no matter the weather conditions. Opening onto the specially designed marina platforms means you get on and off the ship faster, ensuring you have more time to spend exploring.
From Discovery Team leaders to experienced activity guides, historians, geologists, ornithologist, marine biologists, naturalists and leading photographers, the Scenic Eclipse
Discovery Team provides a wealth of knowledge and experience. Experts in their field, Scenic’s Discovery Leaders share their insights into the environment, history and culture of each region, including their personal highlights, so you are ready to explore the many new horizons that await onshore.
Discovery Leaders are complemented by local guides, regional specialists and community experts, all of whom are integral to the shore excursion experience.
Exclusive Scenic Eclipse Experiences (additional cost)
Discover the mysteries of the underwater world as you go for a deep dive on the Scenic Eclipse submarine. Scenic’s U-Boat Worx Cruise Submarine 7, Scenic Neptune, can take you to nature’s most beautiful underwater sites. Capable of diving up to 200-metres below the surface, you’ll not only be able to view icebergs in a way that few ever had, but also watch for whales, seals, and penguins and as they duck and dive below the water’s surface.
For an entirely new perspective of the ice continent, one of two Scenic Eclipse helicopters onboard will have you venture beyond the horizon as you soar over the magnificent glacier peaks of Antarctica, and observe wildlife as never before.
On Scenic Eclipse, discover places largely untouched by humans, a pristine wonderland of icescapes and wildlife species that you have only dreamt of seeing up close.
- Explore the most accessible and wildlife-rich region of Antarctica
- With only 200 guests on board, enjoy access to the broadest range of landing sites
- Take exclusive Discovery Excursions for close encounters with wildlife
- Glide on a sea-kayak through sheltered waterways and drift quietly alongside wildlife
- Visit historic research huts and working scientific stations
- Be surrounded by massive icebergs and ancient glaciers
- Learn about Antarctica’s unique wildlife and environment from expert Discovery Team leaders
- Head below the surface in a submarine for views few have seen
- Board a helicopter and soar above for amazing views
Popular Scenic Eclipse Antarctica Cruise Itineraries
- Antarctica in Depth – 12 days – Buenos Aires return
- Antarctica, South Georgia & Falkland Islands – 19 days – Buenos Aires return
- Antarctica In-Depth with Patagonian Adventure – 20 days – Santiago to Buenos Aires
- Antarctica with Galapagos, Amazon & Peru – 29 days – Guayaquil to Buenos Aires